Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Soooo not funny....

One of my many blind date adventures took place back in May of 2005. I was living down in St. George at the time and a good friend of mine back in Payson, a girl by the name of Wendy B., or to keep it anonymous, W. Brown, wanted to set me up with one of her friends who lived near where I was.

W. Brown called me up one day and said, "Zach...there is a fantastic girl whom I have known for a little while, and she lives down there. She just had a birthday and you should totally take her out on the town to celebrate, and of course to meet her. She is awesome."

Well, how could I say no to that? So I agreed to take her out. Wendy B. gave me the phone number and I proceeded to call "Heather" and ask her out for that weekend. Fortunately W. Brown had forewarned her that I would be calling and the conversation went smoothly.

I should point out at this moment that in May of 2005, I was almost 30 years old. Keep that in the back of your mind.

So on the agreed day, I went to pick "Heather" up at her house. When she opened the door, I must say that I was truly impressed. She really was an attractive girl. She was very friendly and personable, and very easy to talk to. I could tell that this night was going to be fun.

We first went out to eat. My first impressions of her proved to be spot on as we had a great time conversing and sharing stories, and just getting to know each other. It was a lot of fun.

The next event on our agenda was to go up on the cliffs above St. George and fly kites. So up we went. This also proved to be a wonderful activity and we once again went about finding out more and more about each other.

Finally I got around to asking about her birthday and how it had been.

Me: So, you just had a birthday, right?

"Heather": Yes I did! Just last week in fact.

Me: Now going against all "Dating Protocol", how old are you?

"Heather": hee, hee, 18!

Me: *empty stare much like the proverbial 'deer in headlights' cliche*

I was in Middle School learning Algebra and fighting acne when she was born. Better yet...she was 9 years old when I got home from my mission.

Later that night, after having spent the remainder of the date at arm's length of this YOUNG lady at all times, I called up my dear, dear friend who had arranged this, and was met with a loud, long spiel of laughter as she knew I had found out.

I still love you, but, Touche' Wendy...Touche'.

3 comments:

  1. Lol! Zach, thanks for the good laugh. I am still trying to remember who the girl was. I think I have a pretty good idea. I am still trying to think why I would set you up with a girl who just turned 18! It goes against all the principles I believe in. Well, I am glad that you can laugh about it now. I don't know whether to be happy or sad that I made it on the why dating stinks blog. Loving you all the way from Payson!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Zach! Too funny. It took a good 5 minutes for me to stop laughing. Anyway I hope your more recent dating adventures are better. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is even funnier in person ;)

    ReplyDelete