Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Big Girls Don't Cry

I Didn't Mean To Make Her Cry


For those of you who know me at all, you know that I could easily be described as a "Nice Guy". I have never intentionally wanted to make someone cry. But apparently, all it took was an introduction:

About 8 years ago, I was living just off of BYU campus and living the College Life Dream. I was active in the student ward, had great roommates, and best of all, had a full head of hair. I had it all.

One of the girls in my FHE group saw that I had it all, and thought, "Here is a great guy to set up with my friend 'Jamie'."

So this girl, whom we shall call Annie...because that actually was her name...I think, approached me after one of our fun-filled adventures in all things Mormon Monday Nights, and asked if I would be interested in going out with her friend "Jamie". (Which was not her real name by the way, in case you didn't infer that by the quotes)

After she told me a bit about "Jamie", I answered with an enthusiastic, "I suppose I could", and plans were made for a movie and dessert double date, (me and "Jamie", Annie and her boyfriend Paul), on Friday night.

Now, unbeknown to me, was the fact that "Jamie" had recently broken up with her long time boyfriend. This is important.

We had arranged to meet at the Wynnsong Movie Theater in Provo. The movie chosen...was a romantic comedy. I arrived decked out in my sexiest khaki Dockers, blue button up shirt and hair...which was quite full and thick, moussed to perfection.

I spotted Annie, Paul and "Jamie" as they came walking across the parking lot. I won't lie...I was impressed. She was an attractive young woman, and I was much looking forward to meeting her.

As they walked up to me, Annie began to introduce us. With a gesture towards me she said, "'Jamie', this is Zach."

To which Jamie burst into tears.

I am not talking a slight weeping from the corner of her eyes because my Acqua Di Gio, may have been liberally applied.

No, this was a full blown order of cascading tears with body convulsions on the side. The nose began to run, and this no-longer composed young woman, was in complete break down.

She turned and started to run to the car, lamenting, "It's too soon...it's too soon!"

Annie, turned to me, and with a sincere apology explained that "Jamie" had recently broken up with her boyfriend. I never did learn exactly HOW recently. She then invited me to still enjoy the movie with Paul, for which they had already purchased the tickets. She then excused herself to go and console "Jamie".

So Paul (whom I had also never met until that night), and I enjoyed an awkward, albeit...nope...just awkward, romantic comedy with an extra chair between us, while Annie and "Jamie" went home to be consoled by Messieurs Haag and Das.

4 comments:

  1. This blog is great entertainment! You two should seriously write a book together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect set up... for you and Paul that is... I can't believe you went to a romantic comedy with ... a dude?! There was seriously no other show you could've skipped to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on, admit it, it was a great man date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH HAHAHAQHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I LOVE THIS BLOG!!

    ReplyDelete