Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Never-ending Questionnaire

A first date tends to involve a barrage of questions to get to know the other person enough to want to go out with them again. Some typical questions tend to be; where are you from? How many siblings do you have? What is your favorite kind of dessert? But not this date!

It started quite normal at one of his favorite surf and turf restaurant off of PCH. We met around 7:00 PM on a gorgeous Saturday night. Well, after our first meeting, I was excited to know more about him. We sat down and ordered our waters while having a chance to look at the menu. Since it was "his" place I asked what was good there. He said "Pretty much everything, but if you trust me, I'll order for you" I had no objections. I was having a dare devil moment. The waitress came back and took what seemed to be the longest order of food that I have ever heard.

With that our waitress left and the questions began. As I would answer one, it seemed as if he was taking notes under the table. A bit odd for me, but he could have a nervous twitch about him.

Finally, the food came and to my surprise my date did well on ordering my meal. From there, we continued the quickfire of questions. When asking a girl if she served a mission, this is not the way to go about it, "So, you served a mission, right? Couldn't get married?" I think my eyes became the size of saucers at this point. I looked at him, "You had bad experiences with sister missionaries, didn't you?" Silence from the other side of the table. After a brief moment, another set of questions, but this time the mini notepad (that looked as if it belonged to a private investigator) was now on the table and he would stop eating to write down my answers. As the dinner progressed, his attractiveness became less and less appealing.

Dinner had finally come to its end and now I was looking at the dessert menu. Next thing I know the menu is ripped out of my hand and he orders for me. I was shocked since I think that desserts are pretty universal. I could have been craving something specific. As we waited for the unknown desserts, he began to speak..."I have analysed your answers and I have few more questions that I would like you to answer for me." Analysis? Was I on date or an interview?

He then pulls out a portfolio full of paper. He rummages through the tabs and finally stopped on one. He looked over his notes before handing me a stack of paper.

I was now in the possession of a packet that looked like an examination that would have help me qualify to be a F.B.I agent. He handed me ten pages of questions. "These are the questions that a girl like you falls under. I think that you and I are quite compatible for dating."

Saved by the dessert! Placed in front of me a brownie with ice cream that literally looks bigger than the size of my mini cooper. I ignore the dessert since I have 240 questions to answer and return the packet back to him on our second date.

He notices that I haven't touched the brownie. How can I? He acts perturbed that I haven't even taken a single bite. I looked down at my questions, then look directly at him "Well, an answer to #14 is that I am allergic to chocolate, hence I can't eat my dessert." Again, leans into the table to make a note in his notebook.

With that he asked what I thought of the following Saturday to go out again. Normally, dating someone with a ton of questions, isn't a bad thing, but some of these questions were things that not even my doctor would ask.

Let me share some of my 240 questions:

#29 Can you bear children?
#50 Do you take a shower or a bath?
#89 Have you repented of your sins?
#124 In order, describe the first five physical characteristics that you notice on a man?
and my personal favorite
#240 Would you wear role playing costumes?

With that, he asked to have my dessert wrapped up to go and then we paid the bill. As we walked out, he still tried to ask questions for his notebook. "Could you answer #34 for me?"

Question # 34, how long do you wait before you call the guy after a date? Well, after half a second of thinking, I responded... "I'm afraid with this many questions, there may not be enough time for me to call you."

Go, go gadget car!!

Of course, I answered the all questions...privately!

8 comments:

  1. Where do you pick up these winners? Glad I didn't run into any while dating. Holy cow. Keep the stories coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On first reading, I only saw three references to your new toy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I am enjoying this. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New toy? Ahhhhhhhhhhh- O the places my mind goes. Now had he asked... "do you mind answering question #240"... there may have been a second date! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. When I was single I could've added SO much to this! I am laughing so hard right now- you are def a talented writer AND dater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 240! 240! 240! 240!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh come on give us more questions!!!! Its too twisted to hold us over the cliff-hanger of 240 ?'s.
    L.Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive read pretty much everything on the blog. Im not sure whether to be entertained or horrified. At the moment I think entertained is winning out. Great stories keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete